It never fails with Michigan we always get one day in the spring when we get a torrential down pour. Excellent idea as if that is always the day the power goes out and the sump pump fails. Water restoration is a large part of restoration services which is available from companies. Many homeowners assume they can clean it up themselves without thinking on what the dampness will change up the area. What many don’t understand is that water can stick around and formulate mildew and mold. Despite it feels dry to touch areas can still be damp. When not thoroughly dried through water restoration techniques damage can appear.
If your home or business is affected by water damage the best first step is to call your insurance company and have a water restoration company come out and assess the damage. Here are some tips to help you for a homeowner to help their restoration of your .
DO’S and DON’TS
1) The first step is to dehumidify the area. As long as the area is no longer submerged in water features been cleared to be secure by an electrician start your speech running dehumidifiers.
2) Open up the house and have fans circulating the dry air.
3) It is vital that soak up as much water as you can. Use a mop or old towels to sop up as much water as you can. Blotting carpet is also an effective way to remove large quantities of water.
4) All furniture pieces should be dried off. Wood and fabric both should be thoroughly dried. Items such as cushions and knick knacks removed and safely stored until a professional has checked the furniture to certain you it has thoroughly dry out. Remember the touch test does not work. Often furniture will feel dry to the touch because surface is dry. For some the inner parts are completely dry.
5) Wood blocks end up being made that will be familiar with prop up furniture though it may be drying. If you wrap the blocks in aluminum foil this prevents staining on carpet.
6) All floor coverings that are loose in order to removed taken to a complicated to be cleaned and dried. Bacteria will find a host in these areas and should be cleaned properly to prevent any bacteria from the flood water to grow and reproduce in your bath mats.
7) All drapery should be lifted from the carpet. If it has become wet it is best to take it down and allow a professional to clean them.
8) All furniture, cupboards and drawers that can be opened should end up being. It is important to let those areas thoroughly dry out by removing all of the contents and allowing them to air out.
9) Books could be dried out by laying them out open and consumers the air is circulating in the region that they are drying in.
10) It is crucial not to make use of a normal household vacuum to remove water. You will ruin your unit. It is best to leave the water extraction to the pros. If you need to remove a bit of standing water and it can’t be done using a mop or towel and wet/dry shop vacuum is most desirable tool for task.
11) Electrical units should not be plugged in any area that for being wet or which has standing water.
12) Leave carpet that is tacked down in place. Professionals have equipment that can clean and dry your carpet thoroughly.
Damage can occur through water and bacteria settling within your household pieces. Do not wait to call water restoration professionals in to your house to begin working on getting your home restored and functioning normal. Bacteria starts forming within minutes so it is to call your insurance company providing them send someone out immediately to get your home dehydrate. Water restoration professionals can ensure bacteria, mildew and mold do not grow and fester.